Browne and Cannon Invest in Spokane
J.J. Browne and A.M. Cannon
In 1878, J.J. Browne and A.M. Cannon came to Spokane Falls to invest in Spokane. First they bought one half of the township that was owned by James Glover. Then they acquired almost 320 acres of forest land for development. This land became Browne’s Addition and Cannon Addition. Almost immediately, they decided to donate 10 acres to the city where their land joined. The agreement was that if the city did not maintain the 10-acre park, it would revert back to its original owners.
Cite: SpokanePublicRadio.org, Browne’s Addition, The Age of Elegance
In 1891, the city of Spokane accepted the gift and during the City Beautiful Movement along with the help of the 150,000 Club, Coeur d’Alene Park was developed. It had curved pathways where neighborhood residents could wander through the pansy garden and around the ornamental shrubbery.